Pecenongan Fodder (part 2): Kedai Sate Babi Krekot

The next pitstop in our Pecenongan Fodder is Kedai Sate Babi Krekot, which is located right across Alila HotelIt was Wednesday evening, around 7 PM wen we arrived the area, as usual, there was traffic jam, especially near the Redtop Hotel stretch, luckily, it quickly dissipated. 

As I walked almost the entire stretch of Pecenongan, I saw a few stalls offering Sate Babi (pork on skewers), but this stall, Kedai Sate Babi Krekot was particularly packed. I noticed that most of the customers were Chinese, but there were non-Chinese as well. Especially since any other stalls around it was virtually vacant. So it was quite an obvious hint about the place...

Basically, there are 3 main items offered here. They are:
Sate Babi (lean pork on skewers)
Sate Kulit (pork rind or skin on skewers)
Bakut (pork bone tea soup)

I want to comment on the price first, which is quite steep for street food standard. It cost IDR 50,000 for 10 skewers of lean pork! Other street foods that I've had in my life had never fetched such an expensive price tag. Is it because it is pork? The expensive rental fee? Or something else?

This version of pork satay doesn't use peanut sauce like most satays do. Instead, the seasoning uses mainly sweet soya sauce and a sort of light brown flakes, that I suspected as ground dried shrimp (ebi). But it didn't have that pungent fishy smell that ebi usually has, so I'm totally clueless. A reader later enlightened me that the "brown strand of beauty is galangal (lengkuas), a common condiment for sate babi manis". Thanks a LOT whoever you are - too bad he/she is too shy to leave a name =(  To add more zest in the satay, squeeze a dash of lime that comes served with it. Good thing is that the pork is lean, no crunchy or chewy chunks that I'd usually take the pain to separate in other satays I've had before.

Final verdict: this is certainly not the best pork satay in Jakarta. But if you're around the area and crave for pork, just go ahead! =)

The Pecenongan culinary adventure to be continued...
*) No Tax & Service Charge. No takeaway charge. You are not expected to tip.
Lookout for this sign
It's packed! Lucky we had ours as takeaway.
The efficient kitchen
Pork Satay IDR 50,000 for 10 skewers
Kedai Sate Babi Krekot
JL. Pecenongan Raya (exactly opposite Alila Hotel)
Ph: 081510894113
Open hours: 5.30 PM - 12 AM

10 comments :

  1. Oh honey, it's almost funny how clueless you are.
    That brown strand of beauty is galangal (lengkuas), a common condiment for sate babi manis.
    Pecenongan is well-known for its steep price, which is relative anyway, since you shudder at 50k sate babi but totally ok with 75k martabak.
    Really? There aren't many non-halal places in Jkt? Maybe you're just not observant enough.
    Btw, why would we care about the ethnicity of the patrons visiting this place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Thanks a lot for your info! I really didn't know that it was lengkuas...how ignorant me!

    About the price, I guess it simply reduces to the fact that I'm carzy about martabak. Gotta admit that I tend to overlook the price when I like something ;) but you're absolutely right, 75k is indeed, steep for martabak.

    And I admit, that I'm still very much lacking in experience. I wished you would've left your contact details, so I could learn from experts like you =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahhahha annonymous here is really cynical :)

    anyway, IMO, this stall is quite good despite the expemsive price tag but there are many other better pork satay stall (aheng, the one in kapuk are and this guy on bike who yells sate babeiiii every evening around my house)

    the non halal food place in jakarta is basically everywhere but heavily concentrated around Muara Karang, Pluit, PIK, Puri, Kelapa Gading, Tj Duren and of course Kota Area. Don't forget the western food pork and manado or batak food pork scattered around jakarta :)

    anyway ellyna, i love your posts hehehe i just found out that you are a contributor in a newspaper, good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. B, thank you so much for your support!!! Really appreciate that. =)

    Yes, I totally acknowledge my folly in this post for stating that there aren't many places selling non-halal food. Again, that is too ignorant me. I mustn't have paid enough attention to the places I've visited. Gotta admit that pork is hardly on top of my list, as I'd usually search for chicken or fish on the menu...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with Aris M, Sate Babi in Kapuk is such a legend..
    Been a long time never back there, I totally forgot how it taste. Guess I have to get back as soon as possible =p

    ReplyDelete
  6. @eddy: I wanna go also...take me! take me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello ellyna,

    I know this is an old post but I just went here last weekend, and I think their sate is pretty ordinary but the bakut soup is refreshing with a good amount of sourness. I loved it.

    www.chewybubble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess! I've never had Bakut Teh in my life, but thanks for sharing! I'd recommend people to try the bakut teh instead next time :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Ellyna, I think Jessica was referring to salty meat bone soup (alias bak kut sayur asin yang ada di mana-mana ntu tuh) instead of bak kut teh. I don't know any good bak kut teh place in Jakarta, I still think the best bak kut teh in Indonesia can only be found in Sumatra area. Kalo ada yang tau tempat bak kut teh enak di Jakarta, tolong bagi-bagi info yak!

      Delete
    3. Hi Ari! Yes, will keep an eye out for that...Tapi krn gw sendiri bukan penikmat bakut teh, jadi cuma tau bakut teh yang di singapur, di Jakarta masih agak jarang ya. Mungkin bisa coba hunting2 di daerah Glodok kalau ada waktu :)

      Delete

 

Total Pageviews