Everybody Loves IKEA Swedish Meatballs

Aloha peeps! Gosh it has been way too long since I last updated Culinary Bonanza. I'm sorely itching to share the stack of delicious posts with you! They're still "brewing" in my head, but will all soon be readable, I promise. Just keep reading ;)

On my recent trip to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, I was lucky to stay near The Curve at Damansara in Petaling Jaya (a satellite town outskirts of KL). The Curve itself is a giant shopping & entertainment complex that hosts IKEA, the world-famous self-service, home furnishing mega store from Sweden. Of all the places to find culinary treats in KL, why would I visit IKEA?

The answer was cooking in the real kitchen of the IKEA restaurant. Just to reach the restaurant, I had to brave hundreds of meters walking all the way from the parking lot, across the sprawling shopping area of The Curve. Even after arriving in IKEA, I still had to circumnavigate the meandering and treacherous obstacles which were the furnitures display and the buzzing visitors crowding the store on a Saturday. Whoever designed the store, must be damn merciless!

Alas, we reached the Restaurant! But oh! Look at the crowd! As far as my eyes could see, I couldn't spot any empty tables. The IKEA food madness is, apparently, shared among the Malaysians too. But I've come too far to back out now. Undeterred by the snaking queue, and like a determined soldier, I delegated Tommy & Mum to find a place to sit, while I positioned myself at the back of the winding line of hungry people. Tommy soon came back to accompany me =D

Anyway, long story short, I got what I've been pining for since I visited IKEA in Singapore: IKEA's world-famous Swedish Meatballs, served with chips, brown mushroom gravy and lingonberry jam. I believe what makes it so special must be the tender and juicy beef meatballs and the unique combination of sweetness from the lingonberry jam.
IKEA Swedish Meatballs(10 pcs) RM 10
I was actually a bit disappointed because the meatballs I ate in Singapore had tasted juicier, more tender & savoury. Well, I didn't complain much as my longing was 90% satisfied, so I still cleared the whole plate of 10 meatballs and chips (with tommy's help of course!). Such a shame that I didn't grab the Almondy Choklad (almond tart with dark chocolate) =( It would've been a perfect ending to my Swedish meal...But at least I had the organic elderberry drink (Dryck Fläder RM 2.50) for the sweet ending. Even as someone who's neutral to seafood, I have to admit that the prawns in the Open Face Sandwich were very fresh & juicy.

Thanks Tommy, for keeping up with the endless quixotic requests in my culinary adventures =P
A sea of hungry eaters
Just look at the queue!
IKEA self-service Restaurant guide step by step (for dummies): =P
1. Get a tray or tray trolley, help yourself to a mug/cup here, if you'd like a coffee/tea/soft drinks
2. Get whatever you want from the fridge
3. Get your beverage
4. Grab a bun / muffin / egg tart (optional)
5. Ask the crew for your main course. Then head to the cashier & pay
6. Self-service coffee/tea/soft drinks station - fill as much as your mug/cup can hold!
7. Munch away! =) Blueberry Muffin RM 3.50
Open Face Sandwich RM 5.90
*) Prices already inclusive 6% GST
**) Exchange rate: 1 RM = IDR 3,000

No.2 Jalan PJU 7/2 (next to The Curve at Mutiara Damansara)
Petaling Jaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Ph: +603 7726 7777

Restaurant opening hours:
Mon - Thurs: 9am - 9.30pm
Fri - Sun, eve & on public holidays: 9am - 10.30pm 
Breakfast is from 9 - 11am.

8 comments :

  1. a few weeks ago baru ke ikea alexandra
    meatballs-nya sekarang lebih gepeng dari yang dulu-dulu, tapi tetep enak :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. klo ga salah, meatballnya ada versi halal dan non halalnya loh

    ReplyDelete
  3. kapan visit sydney? hehehehe :p
    the food looks awesome, i've heard lots praises for those meatballs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @NiyaOke: IKEA Alexandra Rd, Singapore punya meatballs yg lebih gepeng? Gw kira semuanya standar bulat-bulat =P

    @Anak Jajan: Mungkin ada versi non-halalnya...tp yg pasti yg di malaysia versi halalnya =)

    @irene: Wah...amin dear...would really loooove to visit Sydney =D I'm surprised IKEA hasn't penetrated Sydney yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be super weird because I think I am the only person I know who doesn't like these world famous meatballs. Is the original IKEA Swedish Meatballs made of beef or pork? Perhaps it's the pork-lover in me that pines for a taste of porkiness in the meatballs?!? haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taste is a personal thing, dear ;) The original Danish version is made of pork. When you're on your Euro trip, if you happen to find one, give it a try! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg. do i have to queue like thatt????? langsung lemes...
    rekomen dong di malay mana lagi yang hao zhiiikkk cikk elenaa :)

    beautiful shots.. droll droll


    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, yes, you do..especially at lunch time on a weekend. Don't say I didn't warn ya! =P

    ReplyDelete

 

Total Pageviews