Probably The Last Wine Dinner I Will Write About, Ever

Why, you ask? It was not because I had a bad experience with it. In fact this one I'm about to share has been one of the better dinners I've been to. Truth be told, one of the most difficult things to write for me, is about wine dinner, surprisingly! I think telling a story about a glass of iced water would've been easier for me than about an elaborate wine dinner. It still beats the hell out of me, why I secretly have this wine-dinner-writing-phobia...
Gustave Laurentz Wine Dinner at Pacific Restaurant & Lounge (www.culinarybonanza.com)
wine dinner, anyone?
I mean, surely I could simply describe it from the first course to the last and how well or badly paired they were. It is tough because I'm not sure anyone would actually give a darn to read about it. This is one of the challenges that I still can't crack despite clocking in 4 years in my blogging resume.

Nonetheless, this dinner must go online no matter what, because it might just be the last wine dinner I'd ever go to and write about, for the blog. Well, unless next wine, there's an absolutely hipster wine dinner event that I believe you should know of (vegan wine dinner, perhaps? You're welcome, I'll send you the invoice for my priceless idea LOL).

It's not that I don't appreciate the invitations which come my way, I really do and in fact I'm deeply honored to be deemed fit to be among the prestigious paying guests and give my cents or two regarding the dinner. I'd always enjoy a great meal with great wine, it's just the post-meal task that makes me squirm in my seat. Alas, I've wholeheartedly dedicate long hours to edit the photos and think of stuff to tell you, which I hope would at least get you reading this post until the end.


Gustave Laurentz Wine Dinner at Pacific Restaurant & Lounge (www.culinarybonanza.com)
Left: Gustave-Lorentz wines
Right:Freshly baked bretzels and butter for pre-dinner
I walked into this wine dinner, with little information, except for the location and the courses as well as wine line up. It was going to be held at the Pacific Restaurant & Lounge at The Ritz-Carlton, Pacific Place, Executive Chef Sean MacDougall was going to cook for the guests that evening. It was my first time setting foot at the Pacific Restaurant & Lounge and the place strikes me with its hush hush exclusivity and classiness. Lucky I dressed up for the evening!
Executive Chef Sean MacDougall (www.culinarybonanza.com)
Executive Chef Sean MacDougall
Since we came after the first course was served, we didn't get to talk much with the principals nor with the chef, there's not much story I can tell about the wine, which you can't find on the official website. So, without further ado, here's how the 5 course dinner unfolded:

Gustave Laurentz Wine Dinner at Pacific Restaurant & Lounge (www.culinarybonanza.com)
Appetizer and Muscat
Salmon Pastrami, Asparagus Salad & Parmesan Dressing (www.culinarybonanza.com)
Salmon Pastrami, Asparagus Salad & Parmesan Dressing
1st Course: Appetizer
Salmon Pastrami, Asparagus Salad & Parmesan Dressing.                                                             
Gustave Lorentz Muscat Réserve 2012 (retail price IDR 486,000)
It was interesting to taste how the initially flat & rather savoury Muscat turns quite sweet when consumed with the food.



Agnolotti; Smoked Sweet Pepper Beef Sausage Filling (www.culinarybonanza.com)
Agnolotti; Smoked Sweet Pepper Beef Sausage Filling
Gustave Laurentz Wine Dinner at Pacific Restaurant & Lounge (www.culinarybonanza.com)
Pasta with Pinot Gris
2nd Course: Pasta                                                                        
Agnolotti; Smoked Sweet Pepper Beef Sausage Filling, Bay Sauce, Parmesan Pepper Chips
Gustave Lorentz Pinot Gris Schofweg 2011 (retail price IDR 588,000)
The Pinot Gris alone has a rather sweet note, so I would enjoy it perfectly sans any food. As for the agnolotti, it's gone in a matter of seconds, I especially love the parmesan pepper chips, I wish it were sold in snack packs!



Gustave Laurentz Wine Dinner at Pacific Restaurant & Lounge (www.culinarybonanza.com)
Baked Barramundi and Riesling Burg
3rd Course: Main Presentation                                                                
Baked Barramundi, Tarragon sautéed Crab Meat, Avocado, Hollandaise Glaze Basil Beurre Blanc
Gustave Lorentz Riesling Burg 2008 (retail price IDR 533,000)
Riesling has some sour note, which balances off the fat and smooth baked barramundi.




Brillat-Savarin, Country Bread Soldiers, Pumpkin Jam (www.culinarybonanza.com)
Brillat-Savarin, Country Bread Soldiers, Pumpkin Jam
4th Course: Cheese                                                            
Brillat-Savarin, Country Bread Soldiers, Pumpkin Jam
Gustave Lorentz Gewurztraminer Réserve 2011 (retail price IDR 477,000)
One block (the pale one) was cheese, topped with nuts and the other block was actually bread, topped with pumpkin jam. Eaten separately you'll probably throw a tantrum from the extremity of the flavours, but when eaten together, they combine beautifully in a lovely harmony of savoury & sweet, soft and crusty.



Mango Crème Moulée, Calamansi Gel, Apple Caramel (www.culinarybonanza.com)
Mango Crème Moulée, Calamansi Gel, Apple Caramel

5th Course: Dessert
Mango Crème Moulée, Calamansi Gel, Apple Caramel
Gustave Lorentz Gewurztraminer Altenberg de Bergheim 2008 (retail price IDR 811,000)

Executive Chef Sean is a brilliant chef and I honestly enjoyed every single dishes that was served, and they even tasted better with the fine Alsacian wines of Gustave Laurentz'. And to end the scrumptious dinner, a glass of espresso was called for, naturally...
Espresso and cinnamon cake (www.culinarybonanza.com)
An espresso shot and cinnamon cake for digestif caffeine

Will I write about another wine dinner in the future? I won't be so hasty as to say 'No', but I'll make sure the next one will be a hipster and unusual. =)

Gustave Lorentz
Dimatique Fine Wines

The Ritz-Carlton Jakarta, Pacific Place
Sudirman Central Business District (SCBD)
Jl. Jendral Sudirman Kav. 52-53
South Jakarta - 12190

3 comments :

  1. I'm majoring in F&B industry till today, & I have many relations working in these industry. They never told me anything regarding food tasting etc. I'm just wondering how you got all these things. Do u offer yourself to them (ask for invitations) or they cordially invite you for their special events by themselves for various hotel events, tasting, new menu launch etc? As what I observed, those events & invitations attended by bloggers were “luxurious & exclusive”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you have wine writing phobia? Is it simply because you don't "understand" them - the wine stuff - enough? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gestanizer! Yes, I must admit that it's probably partly that and probably I'm not as interested in learning about wine than about let's say, healthy breakfast?

      Delete

 

Total Pageviews